Job Opening: Field Communication Officer
SOS MEDITERRANEE is looking for a pool of Communication officers onboard its rescue ship AQUARIUS in the Central Mediterranean. Each mission will last for at least six weeks (ideally longer) from May 2018.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civic, European organisation for the rescue of people in distress in the Mediterranean Sea. Since founding the organisation in May 2015, we have grown into a European network with national associations in France, Germany and Italy. The network’s principal objectives are to save the lives of people in distress at the Mediterranean Sea, to protect and assist those who have been saved and to testify about the realities and the many faces of migration.
SOS MED partners with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) who provide medical care and assistance aboard the Aquarius. In 2 yerars of operations since February 2016, SOS MED welcomed about 28.000 people on board its rescue ship.
About the role
- Coordinate press and media representation on board in cooperation with our medical partner Medecins sans frontieres (MSF)
- Produce online contents (social media & website) as well as daily reports
- Act as press contact on board and function as Spokesperson if requested
- Collect interviews with the rescued individuals and crew aboard
- Support the on-land communication teams in the timely production and coordination of Press Releases at critical moments and articles
- Report: Keep Operations, Italian, German, French and Swiss communication teams on shore updated on the situation on board (daily life, rescues…) and ongoing/ planned media activities
- Monitor the compliance with media guidelines and ethical standards on board
- Fully participate in daily activities onboard (rescue practices, watches, etc.)
- Prior experience in the field of media or journalism (min. 2 to 5 years)
- Excellent personal organisational ability
- Excellent command of English language, written and spoken
- Fluent in German, French, other language skills such as Italian or Arabic are an advantage
- Ability to cope with stress and work in an environment where team security is a top priority
- Being empathic and able to adapt to the situations on board, like giving a hand during rescues in case of an emergency
- Previous experience with a humanitarian organization
- Ability to produce photo and video material on board
- Work in a young and international team
- Support civic search and rescue operations at sea
- Freelance contract (38€/day)
- Covering travel expenses from/to Aquarius
- Covering costs on board.
Apply for this role
Please send your application (including letter of motivation & resume) to Julie Bégin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that you won’t receive a confirmation receipt. Please also refrain from further inquiries.